Information taken from the National Conference of Standards Laboratories International. (NCSLI) web site. According to the site, "Calibration" is defined as:
“The set of operations which establish, under certain specified conditions, the relationship between values indicated by a measuring instrument or system, or values represented by a material measure, and the corresponding known values of a measurand.” 1
“The comparison of a measurement system or device of unverified accuracy to a measurement system or device of known and greater accuracy to detect or correct any variation from required performance specification of the measurement system or device.” 2
“The comparison of measuring and test equipment (MTE) or measurement standard of unknown accuracy to a measurement standard of known accuracy in order to detect, correlate, report, or eliminate by adjustment any variation in the accuracy of the instrument being compared.”3
“The set of operations which establish, under specified conditions, the relationship between values indicated by a measuring instrument or measuring system and the corresponding standard or known values derived from the standard.”
1 NCSL RP-l
- AC/DC, Meters, Calibrators, Oscilloscopes, etc.
- RF to 26.5 GHz, Signal Generators, Spectrum Analyzers, Power Meters,
- Frequency, Counters, Standards, GPS Receivers, etc.
- Calibrators: Meter, Frequency & Oscilloscope
- Communication/Radio Test sets
- Pressure, Vacuum & Compound gauges/switches
- Liquid Flow up to 600 GPM
- Torque, 0-2000 ft/lb
- Force, 0-50,000 lb/ft, Dynamometers, Load Cells & Strain Gauges
- Dimensional (0-60 inches)Calipers, Dial indicators, micrometers,
- Gage Blocks, Ring Gages, Thread gages, etc.
- Hardness Testers
- Temperature/Humidity sensors, Thermo-humidigraphs, etc.
- PH, Salinity, Viscosity, etc.
- Temperature: -40 to 1199 F, Dry Blocks, Baths, Meters, Switches
- IR Thermometry, IR Meters
- Anemometers/Air flow, Thermal-vane anemometers, Pitot etc.
- Tachometers, Strobotachometers
- Process Calibrators, Hart Communicator
- Dynamometers, Force Gages, Scales, etc.
- Shackles/Chain Fall certifications
- Gas Flow
- Gas Analyzers, Combustible Meters, etc.
2 DOD-D-4155.1 and MIL-STD-1309C